Intro
I tried this before, but missteps aside, this time it's for real.
My name is Matt, I am currently stationed in Halifax, Nova Scotia but will be returning to the West Coast shortly. I am a full time naval reservist and as such, I have access to some pretty decent military gyms, although for pure weight lifting nothing can touch my two home gyms: World Gym Surrey and World Gym Port Coquitlam.
I wanted to start something about training because a. I like to get ideas down for future reference for myself b. I need to keep track of my training somehow c. other people might be able to use some of the things I've accumulated over the years.
Now first, to give a bit of my background, I'll just start off basic and then maybe further down the road I'll expand on myself. I'm in the military right now, and so I dont really play any team sports. Right now, my training regimen consists of lifting weights 4-5 days a week, and hitting up the heavy bag for some boxing workouts.
Right now, I'm just going to drop a few ideas on how to make your heavy bag workouts more intense.
1. 1 minute intervals with a partner, or multiple partners. No, this isnt a sexual thing. Time yourselves for 1 minute, and then go all out in on the bag. Think of it as 1 minute rounds on the bag. Do as many rounds as you can until you drop dead or cant do anymore.
2. timed intervals, with only one side of your body punching. Throw in some kicks even, but make sure your left or right side does all the work. Its hard to get used to, and try not to develop bad habits, but it's crazy.
3. Cross training. Do pull ups, run a lap, hit the bag for 5 minutes, then do some pushups or situps. Basic stuff.
I think I've got enough for my first post, so I'll post again sometime.
My name is Matt, I am currently stationed in Halifax, Nova Scotia but will be returning to the West Coast shortly. I am a full time naval reservist and as such, I have access to some pretty decent military gyms, although for pure weight lifting nothing can touch my two home gyms: World Gym Surrey and World Gym Port Coquitlam.
I wanted to start something about training because a. I like to get ideas down for future reference for myself b. I need to keep track of my training somehow c. other people might be able to use some of the things I've accumulated over the years.
Now first, to give a bit of my background, I'll just start off basic and then maybe further down the road I'll expand on myself. I'm in the military right now, and so I dont really play any team sports. Right now, my training regimen consists of lifting weights 4-5 days a week, and hitting up the heavy bag for some boxing workouts.
Right now, I'm just going to drop a few ideas on how to make your heavy bag workouts more intense.
1. 1 minute intervals with a partner, or multiple partners. No, this isnt a sexual thing. Time yourselves for 1 minute, and then go all out in on the bag. Think of it as 1 minute rounds on the bag. Do as many rounds as you can until you drop dead or cant do anymore.
2. timed intervals, with only one side of your body punching. Throw in some kicks even, but make sure your left or right side does all the work. Its hard to get used to, and try not to develop bad habits, but it's crazy.
3. Cross training. Do pull ups, run a lap, hit the bag for 5 minutes, then do some pushups or situps. Basic stuff.
I think I've got enough for my first post, so I'll post again sometime.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home