Training 4 life.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Tips for the Hardgainer

I used to be skinny when I was younger. I was tall, and like a lot of tall guys, I had trouble filling out my frame when I was growing. It didnt make it easier that I had to make weight for wrestling, and my metabolism didnt seem to let me gain weight until a few years after high school. But when I sat down and made up my mind that I was going to grow, I did.

I grew a lot, and probably not in the best way at first. It took me a while, but I figured out that I couldnt just eat shit if I wanted to gain weight properly. There is some rhyme and reason to it. There are a lot of people out there who cant seem to gain any weight, no matter how hard they try. This post is for them.

Number one challenge: your metabolism. This is what is probably keeping you from gaining the weight you want. It's most likely super fast, so no matter how much you think you eat, you wont gain. There are a few ways to combat it.

1. You need to start eating more often, and eat more protein rich foods with lots of good carbs. Dont worry about the fat so much, if the food is healthy its alright to have some fat in your diet. Not all fats are bad. Peanut butter is a great help in this, because it has a ton of calories and it contains healthy fat and good protein. Dont overdo it, but make it more prominent in your diet. You can have that steak and that hamburger meat, just make sure you choose one that isnt totally useless. It has a lot to do with food selection.

2. Back to eating more often. In order to beat your metabolism, you need to fuel yourself constantly. So for you, this means all the time. Make it healthy stuff like fruits, veggies and whole grain sandwiches, but keep eating.

3. Drink tons of water. Not only will this help with digestion, it will keep you hydrated and allow you to build that hard earned muscle.

Workout plans for hardgainers
You cant gain so you train more? Not a good idea. A lot of hardgainers tend to overtrain, so here is a sample workout plan for hardgainers. Plan A includes some cardio for those who want to get more fit, Plan B is just the weights. When you are really trying to gain weight, cutting back on the cardio allows your body to focus solely on putting on weight and recovering.

This is a beginner's level workout plan
But the basics can be translated to more advanced lifters

Plan A
Day 1 :Chest
Incline bench press 3X 8-12 reps
dumbell press 3X 8-10 reps
incline dumbell flyes 3X 10-12 reps
crunches 3X 25 reps
cardio time 20 mins

Day 2: Legs, Biceps
Squats 3X 8-10 reps
leg press 3X 10-12 reps
leg curls 3X 8-10 reps
Chin ups 3X 8-10 reps

Rest Day

Day 3: Shoulders, Triceps
military press 3X 8-10 reps
side shoulder raise 3X 10-12 reps
shrugs 3X 8-10 reps
close grip bench press 3X 8-10 reps

Day 4: Back
deadlift 3X 8-10 reps
barbell row 3X 10-12 reps
pull ups 3X 8-10 reps
crunches 3X 25 reps
cardio time 20-25 mins

Cardio Day 20-30 mins

Rest Day

Plan B

Day 1
Day 2
Rest
Day 3
Day 4
Rest
Cardio/fun day
repeat

More from me later

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home