A typical Shoulder day
Today, due to lack of a good sleep and the fact that I was going to a sub par gym (which actually has improved tremendously since I last went there), I did shoulders.
Shoulders is an Aquatics centre staple, because I dont need dumbells over 100 lbs
(except if i want to really crank out on the military presses, and of course for traps) and it helps to have a buddy spot you on the military presses.
I learned long ago (2003, which was weight gain I for all of you keeping count) that I could military press a lot more than I could curl. Getting the 100 lbs dumbells onto my shoulders severely limited the number of reps I could do, so I got the aid of a spotter to help me lift the dumbells onto my shoulders, help me raise them up, and then pump away. This helped me tremendously.
I have a bad shoulder due to a rugby injury from 2001, so I need to be extra careful with it. Its probably also in part due to some bad form and excessive weight, so anything to do with shoulders has to be kept strict.
I go relatively light on side raises, because this really exasperates my pain. If Im careful, I wont have any at all. Front raises, I can go a bit slacker on form since its the front head of the delts, but I still need to be very cautious. The delts arent massive muscles like the chest or back, they react to stress a lot quicker.
The keys to remember when doing shoulders is to concentrate on the shoulders, keep the form tight, and dont let your ego get the best of you. Get a spotter, warm up, and you'll be ready to rock.
Traps are easy. Shrugs are all they need. Grab the heaviest dumbells you can find and shrug away. Or go barbell. But that's all for traps. Shrugs, and maybe deadlifts too, but thats another day.
This makes the 3rd post. Oh well, I'd like to post here more often, but better some than none.
Shoulders is an Aquatics centre staple, because I dont need dumbells over 100 lbs
(except if i want to really crank out on the military presses, and of course for traps) and it helps to have a buddy spot you on the military presses.
I learned long ago (2003, which was weight gain I for all of you keeping count) that I could military press a lot more than I could curl. Getting the 100 lbs dumbells onto my shoulders severely limited the number of reps I could do, so I got the aid of a spotter to help me lift the dumbells onto my shoulders, help me raise them up, and then pump away. This helped me tremendously.
I have a bad shoulder due to a rugby injury from 2001, so I need to be extra careful with it. Its probably also in part due to some bad form and excessive weight, so anything to do with shoulders has to be kept strict.
I go relatively light on side raises, because this really exasperates my pain. If Im careful, I wont have any at all. Front raises, I can go a bit slacker on form since its the front head of the delts, but I still need to be very cautious. The delts arent massive muscles like the chest or back, they react to stress a lot quicker.
The keys to remember when doing shoulders is to concentrate on the shoulders, keep the form tight, and dont let your ego get the best of you. Get a spotter, warm up, and you'll be ready to rock.
Traps are easy. Shrugs are all they need. Grab the heaviest dumbells you can find and shrug away. Or go barbell. But that's all for traps. Shrugs, and maybe deadlifts too, but thats another day.
This makes the 3rd post. Oh well, I'd like to post here more often, but better some than none.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home