Training 4 life.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hitting that plateau?

Sometimes it seems like you've hit a plateau, and no matter what you do, you arent getting around it. Although sometimes it may seem as though no progress is being made, and sometimes it even feels like youre slipping a little bit, you need to take a step back and re evaluate what you're accomplishing.

For me, there are far too many variables to determine if my performance will be the same from workout to workout. I try and ensure that I'm always ready to go, but rest time, nutrition, sleep and the order of the exercises play a factor. As well, the range of motion also plays a part. If I only get 6 reps with a better ROM at a lighter weight, and I got 7 reps with a shorter ROM, which one is better? I'd say the lighter one, although for some it would feel as if they had lost some strength.

The order of exercises also plays a large part. If I bench 370 for 6 reps 2 sets in, and then the next time I bench 345 for 8 reps 2 exercises in ( meaning 5+ sets into my workout) then does that mean I've lost strength? There are too many variables to really judge. Unless you keep the order the same.

Myself, for example, I'm trying something out where I dont do flat bench for the next month or so in order to see if when I come back to it I'll be much stronger.
So I started with incline bench, something I dont do as often as I should. I'm doing alright on that, but my strength on the floor press went up quite a bit. Is this because the inclines arent as taxing, or is it because I'm getting stronger? I'm not sure yet.

Out from Surrey

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home