Re-evaluation of priorities
Every once in a while, I like to take a look at my current program and determine what I want out of it. I make certain changes as neccessary, and sometimes they end up being more expansive then I had originally planned. Sometimes they dont work out, and I fall back into old habits.
Right now, with the prospect of being home for close to 2 months, I need to evaluate what I plan to do to stay in shape and get ready for the physical for fire fighting. I wont have a gym (with pool, courts, etc) a 5 minute walk from my house, so I will need to determine how and where I'll do my lifting and cardio. Running back in Surrey will take some work, because I just cant go to an empty gym and do sprints. I will have to run on the track, and I need to decide when I want to do that. I'd say preferably mornings, before it gets too busy.
Lifting, I've been revamping my lifting programs as well. I'm stripping the program of any superfluous exercises and adding in more multijoint work. For example, back now consists of wide grip pullups, clean and jerks, t bar rows, and close grip pullups (sometimes weighted with either a 25 or a 45 lb plate, depending on how spry I feel). 4 sets instead of 3 for each main exercise, and no isolation shit.
Chest has been revamped slightly, but it's always been pretty multijoint. Incline (at home to start) then flat bench, then pullovers, warming up with dumbell flyes. Maybe throw in a hammer strength machine to finish it off.
Smaller bodyparts will be incorporated with cardio days. Biceps is now chin up day, and maybe some curls, but chin ups will be better as they are a more multi joint exercise. I havent figured out everything else yet, but I will soon.
Out from Esquimalt.
Right now, with the prospect of being home for close to 2 months, I need to evaluate what I plan to do to stay in shape and get ready for the physical for fire fighting. I wont have a gym (with pool, courts, etc) a 5 minute walk from my house, so I will need to determine how and where I'll do my lifting and cardio. Running back in Surrey will take some work, because I just cant go to an empty gym and do sprints. I will have to run on the track, and I need to decide when I want to do that. I'd say preferably mornings, before it gets too busy.
Lifting, I've been revamping my lifting programs as well. I'm stripping the program of any superfluous exercises and adding in more multijoint work. For example, back now consists of wide grip pullups, clean and jerks, t bar rows, and close grip pullups (sometimes weighted with either a 25 or a 45 lb plate, depending on how spry I feel). 4 sets instead of 3 for each main exercise, and no isolation shit.
Chest has been revamped slightly, but it's always been pretty multijoint. Incline (at home to start) then flat bench, then pullovers, warming up with dumbell flyes. Maybe throw in a hammer strength machine to finish it off.
Smaller bodyparts will be incorporated with cardio days. Biceps is now chin up day, and maybe some curls, but chin ups will be better as they are a more multi joint exercise. I havent figured out everything else yet, but I will soon.
Out from Esquimalt.
Labels: Training experiences


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home