Stiff legged deadlifts vs. conventional deadlifts
The dilemna today is which type of deadlift is the more effective exercise, and which one is easier to add to a program. Let's start with the main focus of both types of deadlifts. Stiff legged (SL) deadlifts put the focus mainly on the lower back and hamstrings, while the conventional deadlifts are more of a back stressor.
SL deadlifts generally fall on leg day or hamstrings if youre so inclined. Regular deadlifts fall on back day.
The conclusion that I've come to is that my form on regular deadlifts isnt the greatest, and my height puts me at a disadvantage. I also happen to do enough heavy back movements so that conventional deads would be nice, but arent essential.
SL deads for me are still a hard, hard exercise, but I seem to be able to feel it a lot more and my form seems to be much better. It also hits the lower back, which is somewhere that I want to develop. It also allows me to toss in an extra day just to do those, if I choose, and ramp up my metabolism a little bit more. Sometimes it is nice to train for that extra 1 day.
The conclusion is that it the superior exercise depends on your needs. Both types of deadlifts are great. Back deadlifts are superior, but if youre like me and regular deadlifts arent super comfortable, then try and add SL deadlifts in instead.
Out from Surrey.
SL deadlifts generally fall on leg day or hamstrings if youre so inclined. Regular deadlifts fall on back day.
The conclusion that I've come to is that my form on regular deadlifts isnt the greatest, and my height puts me at a disadvantage. I also happen to do enough heavy back movements so that conventional deads would be nice, but arent essential.
SL deads for me are still a hard, hard exercise, but I seem to be able to feel it a lot more and my form seems to be much better. It also hits the lower back, which is somewhere that I want to develop. It also allows me to toss in an extra day just to do those, if I choose, and ramp up my metabolism a little bit more. Sometimes it is nice to train for that extra 1 day.
The conclusion is that it the superior exercise depends on your needs. Both types of deadlifts are great. Back deadlifts are superior, but if youre like me and regular deadlifts arent super comfortable, then try and add SL deadlifts in instead.
Out from Surrey.
Labels: Back, Hamstrings, Training


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home