Gym history: a timeline, part I
I havent written in a long time, but thats due to the sailing schedule that I've had.
So, Ive been thinking about writing a time line for every gym or every place Ive trained in, so that means we need to rewind to spring 1997, first off. I started working out in grade 9, but I officially didnt start working out until spring 1999. Thats when the records start counting.
The basics got put down there, but one of the problems with that gym was the lack of proper equipment, and my inexperience. Riverside was pretty much for chest and arms, I never trained legs or back there, except maybe occasionally. I think the very last time I ever trained there was once in the fall of 2000, but that was for shits and giggles.
Where the real lessons were learned was Carnoustie (1999-2003). I got to be around people who had been working out for a while, so I learned a ton during these years. 1999 I gained around 15 lbs that summer, but that was mainly beginners luck. I made a lot of mistakes between then and now, but time is the greatest teacher.
Carnoustie had all the basics for a decent workout, better than fitness world even. Military press, hack squat, squat rack, incline bench, bench,cables, that's all you really need. That's probably the reason why I was so hesitant to leave. It was never busy, and at the time, I didnt need heavier weights.
2000 and 2001, I tried a bigger, better gym, but I was never quite ready for it. I worked out at Planet Ice for a while, but then Tyler went to fitness world, and I went back to Carnoustie. I'd say that I kind of went through the motions during 2001 and 2002, except I jacked up my squats and deadlifts, but didnt touch the bench until 2003.
2003 is a later story, and that can be part II.
So, Ive been thinking about writing a time line for every gym or every place Ive trained in, so that means we need to rewind to spring 1997, first off. I started working out in grade 9, but I officially didnt start working out until spring 1999. Thats when the records start counting.
The basics got put down there, but one of the problems with that gym was the lack of proper equipment, and my inexperience. Riverside was pretty much for chest and arms, I never trained legs or back there, except maybe occasionally. I think the very last time I ever trained there was once in the fall of 2000, but that was for shits and giggles.
Where the real lessons were learned was Carnoustie (1999-2003). I got to be around people who had been working out for a while, so I learned a ton during these years. 1999 I gained around 15 lbs that summer, but that was mainly beginners luck. I made a lot of mistakes between then and now, but time is the greatest teacher.
Carnoustie had all the basics for a decent workout, better than fitness world even. Military press, hack squat, squat rack, incline bench, bench,cables, that's all you really need. That's probably the reason why I was so hesitant to leave. It was never busy, and at the time, I didnt need heavier weights.
2000 and 2001, I tried a bigger, better gym, but I was never quite ready for it. I worked out at Planet Ice for a while, but then Tyler went to fitness world, and I went back to Carnoustie. I'd say that I kind of went through the motions during 2001 and 2002, except I jacked up my squats and deadlifts, but didnt touch the bench until 2003.
2003 is a later story, and that can be part II.
Labels: History


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home