Training 4 life.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

A typical biceps day

Basically, arms are secondary to me. If you dont do the basic back, chest and legs, then arms has to suffer because those are much, much more important overall. Arms for me is somewhat of an afterthought, unless I train at home or at some place close to home. Im not going to drive 15 minutes for a 20-30 minute workout.

Right now, my biceps workout consists of 2-3 exercises, at most 8 sets. My usual amount is 6 sets, because biceps are a smaller muscle group. You can overtrain them very easily. I know one guy who trained them for 40 minutes, but thats way to excessive. If you can get the work done in 15-20 minutes, why not?

What I do on ship for biceps is due to the weights we have. Our heaviest dumbell is 60 lbs, so that can work for moderate reps. I start off with a warmup of 10 picture perfect reps. The first exercise I do is a bent over curl, I dont know if it has an official name so I will call it the philosopher's curl. To perform this, bent over at the waist and let your arm hang down completely. Curl your arm up to your opposite chest, and back down again.

This exercise gets rid of the momentum associated with other curls and adds more gravity. Sometimes I curl the weight up to my forehead, since this adds a different contraction. I perform 3 sets of these with at least 10 reps for the first 2 sets, and then squeezing out 8-10 reps for the last set.

Sometimes I superset in two arm dumbell curls, holding the 60 lb dumbell in both hands and squeezing out 20 reps right after Im done the philosophers. Other times, I use the bowflex to curl and get a pump.

Next is a set of hammer curls, 3 quick sets. And that's it. It may seem simple, but this will make your arms quiver and it definetely beats spending 40 minutes doing 5 different exercises.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home