Training 4 life.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Big guns in under 25 minutes

I've always liked a lot of the aspects of high intensity training. Quicker, more intense, less fluff. It seems to me like a lot of high volume training could be compressed into a more fruitful, focused workout. I guess you can see where I fall on the spectrum of high intensity vs. high volume, but I'm also not a 1 set a workout guy either. I like to have some volume, but lots of intensity.

Arms are great for short workouts because you can fatigue them easily. I've never really concentrated on arms all that much, because I've always felt that the bigger muscle groups are more important. I've also rarely ever had the time to commit to a 40 min biceps workout. That's just not my style.

So, I've always believed in short rests, heavy weight and maybe 6-8 sets tops for biceps, maybe 10 tops for triceps. Tris can withstand a lot more punishment, they really respond well to 3 sets of 3 exercises. Biceps, probably 3-4 sets of 2 exercises. The big ones for me, are preacher curls, or bent over curls, and chin ups.

I've been pretty good at chin ups for a while, but you really have to concentrate on your bis when you do these in order to really feel them. If you do them normally, you'll probably feel them a bit, but you really need to slow your tempo down and concentrate on your arms rather than your back.

Triceps, start with a big movement like close grip bench or reverse grip bench (a forgotten exercise topic for later) and then do dumbell extensions followed by the standard tricep pressdowns. Do these in under 25 minutes and you'll be well on your way to sporting some decent guns without spending the time.

Out from Esquimalt.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home